Simply supported beam and UDL modeling question

Sie finden etwas nicht oder wünschen sich Funktionalitäten? Hier können Sie es los werden! /
You are looking for functionalities? Go ahead!

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
BCEng

Simply supported beam and UDL modeling question

Beitrag von BCEng »

Brand new user - less than 3 hours...

In learning my way around Z88 Aurora I have been unsuccessful in modelling a simply supported beam under a UDL. Z88os has an example of a simply supported beam under a central point load, although the Aurora ?commander? cannot read the structure data. File naming changed between releases.

Elements Beam 2, 13, & 25 seem appropriate, but picking the element leads to a crash and I am unable to place the beam element in a Set - (from Picking dialogue, enter beam element number in Individual Element input box, then pressing OK gives me the crash)

Placing a line load, or a Force (uniformly distributed) on a set that includes the nodes at each end of the Beam doesn't lead to deflection in the Beam.

Feels like I'm missing something. Is it possible for someone to create a super simple model and make the Z88*.txt files available?
TSiegel
Alumni

Re: Simply supported beam and UDL modeling question

Beitrag von TSiegel »

Dear BCEng,

For your problem (simply supported beam with UDL) the beam 13 is the best choice since it is a two-dimensional problem although the other two beam elements should work as well. I was not able to reproduce the crash while picking the elements. However, you don't need to pick any elements since the load and boundary conditions are applied to the nodes and for the material a set with all elements is created automatically.

Now to the missing deflection. If I got it right, you are using a single beam element. Since both nodes are fixed vertically, and a beam element has no "inner" deflection, no deflection will be shown in the result. This is why you have to place multiple nodes along the length of the beam and connect each two following nodes with a beam element. In the end the displacements are calculated for every node.

Best Regards,
TSiegel
Antworten