Free Meshers - Tetgen and Netgen

Sie finden etwas nicht oder wünschen sich Funktionalitäten? Hier können Sie es los werden! /
You are looking for functionalities? Go ahead!

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
Tim
Mesher

Free Meshers - Tetgen and Netgen

Beitrag von Tim »

I am wondering about the development of these programs and the implimentation within Z88 Aurora.

In another post Martin said the development of these was completely outside of Z88 team.

I have been wandering around google and found this Netgen example:

OpenCascade IGES and STEP support
The integration of the OpenCascade open source geometry kernel by Open CASCADE S.A. into NETGEN offers access to IGES/STEP geometry files support.

Bild

There are no problems with STL traingles here.

Question: Will this level of Netgen ever find its way into Z88 Aurora or is only for commercial software.

Tim.
auroraIco
Site Admin

Re: Free Meshers - Tetgen and Netgen

Beitrag von auroraIco »

Hi Tim,

the open cascade support is already implemented, this is the aurora modul called "geocon". The quality of the netgen mesh strongly depend on the cad model. From Pro/Engineer models we already have such "beautiful" meshes. So unfortunatelly nothing new to improve the continua support. :roll:
But there is another mesher called "Gmesh". :idea: Open Source, looks good and it has the opportunity to create netgen meshes and put them to aurora. But always the same problem, we haven´t enough time to play with it. :wink:

greetings aurora_ico
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

The relationship between Netgen Gui and Aurora is very easy and useful. Just get the desired mesh at NETGEN from a Step or IGS model, and then export it as STL ASCII. Open it at AURORA and mesh with TETGEN. In this way you'll get the "nice" NET pattern for quad Tetrahedra. This path lets also to check the integrity of the initial model, to refine the mesh locally, etc.
Dateianhänge
tim55.jpeg
tim55.jpeg (168.33 KiB) 4935 mal betrachtet
Tim
Mesher

Beitrag von Tim »

Thanks for the info.
Cheers..

Tim
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

You're welcome, Tim.

Concerning the NET-TET path, while it's consistent and produce excelent final results; as pointed by Aurora Ico, there are some geometries that are not easy to be imported and meshed in Netgen Gui. I tested several STEP and IGS versions and the more accurate is IGS 5.2, but this one is not easyly available. On the other hand, there's several issues of the initial model that have to be regarded at the CAD stage. At the report I've offered you there is a list of these issues and the way for manage them. If you want to learn more about this, please write me to srglpz23@gmail.com so I can send you this report.

Best regards
auroraIco
Site Admin

Beitrag von auroraIco »

Dear Selopez,

I´ve made a new forum category namend "How to". It would be very kind of to put your thoughts in there.

Thanks, aurora_ico
Tim
Mesher

Beitrag von Tim »

Hi Selopez.
A big thanks from me for that excellant procedure - very informative. It has made a massive difference in getting a speedy first time successful Tetgen mesh.
I'm very happy now.. :lol:

Regards..
Tim.
Dateianhänge
Arm.JPG
now getting the idea...
(119.94 KiB) 1242-mal heruntergeladen
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

You're welcome Tim.

Surely through your own experience, you'll find ways for improve the NET-TET procedure. If so, don't leave of communicate them to us.

Regards
Antworten