Units

Sie finden etwas nicht oder wünschen sich Funktionalitäten? Hier können Sie es los werden! /
You are looking for functionalities? Go ahead!

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
Sebastian
Preprocessor
Units

Beitrag von Sebastian »

I know this might seem like a daft question but what are the units for the values below:
Untitled.png
(7.75 KiB) 1595-mal heruntergeladen
I know the values represent deviation but with which unit (eg. mm, micron, etc...)

Thanks
auroraIco
Site Admin

Re: Units

Beitrag von auroraIco »

Hello,

every single finite-element-program is devoid of units. It depends on your import model and given values of the loads and material parameters. Watch out when using the implemented materials database (implemented units: mm/N) and don´t mix up different units.

Greetings, aurora_ico
Sebastian
Preprocessor

Beitrag von Sebastian »

So you're saying that if my model is in millimetres then Z88's output will also be in mm's?
Sebastian
Preprocessor

Beitrag von Sebastian »

Sebastian hat geschrieben:So you're saying that if my model is in millimetres then Z88's output will also be in mm's?
Let me put it this way. I assume that when it come to results that 'displacements' or 'magnitude of displacement' would be a distance value (eg. mm), a 'force' refers to Newtons...

but

if a result is a stress, say, 'stress per element' or 'stress per corner nodes' what value do I use here? :?
auroraIco
Site Admin

Beitrag von auroraIco »

if the model is in mm, the forces are in N and you have used the material database with N/mm2, the units of stresses are N/mm2 or so called MPa. Stresses are always calculated at the gaussian points and then interpolated for the contour plots. See theory guide p 89 and p 95. It is up to you which results you want to use.

greetings, aurora_ico
Sebastian
Preprocessor

Beitrag von Sebastian »

aurora_ico hat geschrieben:if the model is in mm, the forces are in N and you have used the material database with N/mm2, the units of stresses are N/mm2 or so called MPa. Stresses are always calculated at the gaussian points and then interpolated for the contour plots. See theory guide p 89 and p 95. It is up to you which results you want to use.

greetings, aurora_ico
Thank you. You probably guessed by my questions that I am very new to FEA. I still have a lot to learn and appreciate all your input.
Antworten