Meshing thinwalled 3D geometry

Alle Fragen zu: Vernetzung, Materialien, Lasten, Randbedingungen und Elementparameter /
All questions to: meshing, materials, boundary conditions and element properties

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
Mark
Import

Meshing thinwalled 3D geometry

Beitrag von Mark »

Hi,

I am trying to mesh a solid using the Tetgen or Netgen modules. For some reson It does start, but it seems it won't complete the job. After the start screen nothing happens. I did play with several values \ sizes, no difference.

I tried to mesh different example stl files, with succes

I checked the stp file in my solid modeler (I read it back) and what I try, I can't find faulty geometry and or multiple bodies. So the file seems to be OK.

It is a section of a aluminium bicycle rim. wall thickness 0.7mm up to 2.6mm. The section is about 18mm width, 27mm heigh and 150mm long.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mark
Mark
Import

Re: Meshing thinwalled 3D geometry

Beitrag von Mark »

Stangely,

I closed the project. Reopened it again and it starts to calculate, without any command.... Result a nice mesh.
I use the 64Bits version on windows 7

Someone a idear??

Mark
Mark
Import

Beitrag von Mark »

So after some more trials I changed over from STEP import op STL import. I read a thing or two about what you probably could gain by a well prepared STL here on the forum..

I asked my CAD system to create the STL with a certain tolerance but maybe the most important step is that I ask it to create triangles with a max size of 10mm. This resulted in an already devided straight fases...

Now the Netgen could cope with the imported data.

Thanks

Mark
ChriDin
Alumni

Beitrag von ChriDin »

Hello Mark,

while meshing your structure, did the "no response" window appear? This usually happens while meshing and is actually normal when complicated structures are meshed.

Does your project now work just fine? The tetgen and netgen meshers have sometimes difficulties meshing fine structures.

Kind Regards,

Z88 Support team
Antworten