Help Building a Solid Out of "Elements"?

Alle Fragen zu: Vernetzung, Materialien, Lasten, Randbedingungen und Elementparameter /
All questions to: meshing, materials, boundary conditions and element properties

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
jclarkw

Help Building a Solid Out of "Elements"?

Beitrag von jclarkw »

I'm a new to Z88 Aurora and to FEM in general. I'm hoping you folks can help me get going with a **simple** 3-D example:

I need to model in 3-D a solid, right-circular cylinder of glass of thickness/diameter around 1/10 (a telescope mirror) -- just a single, homogeneous, isotropic "part" as opposed to a complex "assembly" like most of the examples. Looking at the pre-defined "elements" apparently available in V2, I'm at a loss how to create such a simple, 3D solid. (Eventually I will calculate the distortion of the front surface due to gravity in various directions, when the cylinder is supported at various points on its back surface and/or edge, but I need the part before I can start applying constraints...)

An sketch of how to build such a simple 3D part out of pre-defined elements would be greatly appreciated. -- jclarkw
ccad
Z88-Chef

Re: Help Building a Solid Out of "Elements"?

Beitrag von ccad »

No problem at all - You have more than one possibilities:

1) Use any 3D-CAD system, design your mirror and export it in STL or STEP format. Read this file into Z88Aurora, mesh it with tetrahedrons (Tetgen or Netgen) and supply boundary conditions and material. Solve the problem. See examples > import > b8 in your Z88AuroraV2 directory tree.

2) Make up your mirror of very few super-elements using AutoCAD (see the appropriate section in Z88Aurora theory manual), use the mapped mesher Z88N to get a proper FE strukture. See See examples > import > b1 in your Z88AuroraV2 directory tree.

3) 2) Make up your mirror of very few super-elements using an editor and enter the node by hand (see section Z88NI.TXT in Z88Aurora theory manual), use the mapped mesher Z88N to get a proper FE strukture. See See examples > import > b1 in your Z88AuroraV2 directory tree.

Regards

Prof. Rieg
jclarkw

Beitrag von jclarkw »

OK, I guess I misunderstood. I thought the front end ("preprocessor") in Aurora was supposed to facilitate design of a "part" from the built-in "elements." Not so? (I have no CAD software here...) -- jclarkw
FRudolph
Alumni

Beitrag von FRudolph »

Hello jclarkw,

Aurora is not a CAD-Software. Maybe you know other FEA-software where you can generate a model from the bottom up. But this is always an implemented CAD-aoftware. Such a "feature" is not necessary in Aurora.
If you do not have a CAD-software you can use "free cad" for example and export a *.stl or *.stp file which is compatible to Aurora.

With kind regards

FRudolph
jclarkw

Beitrag von jclarkw »

Thanks!
mz15
Site Admin

Beitrag von mz15 »

Hello jclarkw,

You're welcome.
Antworten