constraints application

Alle Fragen zu: Vernetzung, Materialien, Lasten, Randbedingungen und Elementparameter /
All questions to: meshing, materials, boundary conditions and element properties

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

ccad
Z88-Chef

Re: constraints application

Beitrag von ccad »

Dear Tim, dear Selopez,

we're just in the last phase of our 4th German edition of "Finite Elemente Analyse fuer Ingenieure" (that is in English: Finite elements analysis for engineers"). The publisher Carl Hanser, Munich, says that it will be published in August this year. This 4th German edition works heavily with our brand-new freeware Z88Aurora V2 (the German version will be "on the air" starting with June 22 - the English version in September or October).

We're also in contact with our publisher concerning an English translation of this coming 4th German edition. As far as I can see, this new English translation may be published not earlier than December this year - if all runs perfectly...

Here are some very good books on FEA: H.J.Bathe, Zienkiewicz/Taylor and Cook/Malkus/Plesha/Witt.

Best regards

Prof. Rieg
Tim
Mesher

Beitrag von Tim »

Dear Prof. Rieg.

Appreciate the prompt reply, comments and FEA reference book suggestions.

4th edition 'working heavily' with the new AuroraV2 - I will be watching out for publication dates!

Regards.

Tim.
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

Prof. Rieg

Let me add to those of Tim, my own thanks for your concern and the information you bring us. I hope you can satisfactorily accomplish your schedules for the benefit of all us, AURORA users.

Dear Tim.

When considering your worry for improve skills in FEA management (that's also mine), I think that an important subject is how we position ourselves in relation with this tool. As I see this, there are two possible approaches (among some others, surely). One is that of the specialized consulting, that evaluates the structural integrity of an almost finished project. The other one, which is that interests me, is the integration of FEA into the design process, not only in order to get early clues about structural right shapes, but also for stimulate the creative process itself.

Naturally, this integration of FEA with the design process, implies some practices that could not seem to be usual. Let's say to test crude models, partial or conceptual shapes, coming and going fast between CAD and FEA, etc. Here's where I appreciate so much AURORA, for its transparency, its versatility for manage BCs, its agility for meshing, etc.

The other subject related with supporting bibliography that I would like to point, is that of the "stand alone objects" (I didn't find yet a better expression). For the most of the products with I deal, and for which FEA is essential (chirurgical implants and its associated tools), the cases of loads and constraints that confuse themselves, or in which deformations are part of the functionality, are normal. As all the samples and recommendations that I have seen at specialized magazines, refer parts that either are grounded, or attached to others that provide external stability, it would helpful for me to find some FEA recommendations concerning this type of cases.

Bests regards
Tim
Mesher

Beitrag von Tim »

Hello Selopez.

I have stumbled upon this software 'FEBio' - It may interest you. It may not be exactly what you've seeking, but this is FEA for the body bones and tissues etc.

WRT the fast iterative design and analysis, If you want to tweak, i.e just move a face of the a CAD model and then expect the meshing, BC etc. to adapt accordingly, then you will need an integrated CAD/ Analysis package. I believe Z88 Aurora will not do this if your starting input is an .stl /.step file. Hopefully, V2 will bring us more user friendliness in modifying loads and BCs - but, i believe if you want to alter the shape, then that will require a new imported model and... i believe for now, the manual re-entering of the loads etc etc. So, a little tiresome.

This desirable / iterative solution does exist out there in commercial forms. costs start from £7 k (always expensive in the UK) for the basic integration of a good CAD program with (sadly) only a basic analysis package, then, shoots skyward disproportionately with further analysis capabilities.

hope this helps and FEBio is of some interest to you.
Regards.

Tim.
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

Hi, Tim

I've already given an initial glance to FEBIO's website, and it seems to be very interesting. Thank you very much for the data.

Regards
selopez
Preprocessor

Beitrag von selopez »

Tim

You're right indeed about the complexity of the way for going from CAD to FEA, but concerning the meshing stage in particular, I've found a procedure that allows to get cleaner and faster quadratic tetrahedron meshes, prepared also for accurate BC application. This has had the virtue of encourage me to make more FEA tests and be closer to the ideal of integrate FEA into the design process. If you're interested, it will be a pleasure for me to send you the description of this procedure.

Have a good day.
Tim
Mesher

Beitrag von Tim »

Hi Selopez.

Sounds interesting and very benefical for all.
If you feel the Aurora team would welcome this insight, then, please share, post it up - perhaps in a new thread, for the forum to see and examine. If, it works as well as
you say, then perhaps Z88 Aurora might use if it can adopt it easily.
Prof. Rieg openly says 'Lets discuss FEA!'

I suppose, it could be another FEA solution meshing technique or ? , well i don't really know.
I would say, whatever you have found that makes something easier or more comprehensive or more efficient, please share it for examination.

Cheers.

Tim.
Antworten