Adding support-beams increases deflection

Alle Fragen zu: Vernetzung, Materialien, Lasten, Randbedingungen und Elementparameter /
All questions to: meshing, materials, boundary conditions and element properties

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
Christophe

Adding support-beams increases deflection

Beitrag von Christophe »

Hi,

First of all, not sure if this is the right place for my question, but here goes. I started a topic in the mesh-thread about a frame on which I want to do a stress analysis. The mesh is adequately good enough for now, so I started to try and get some results. First I did an analysis on the frame as is. Results are shown in img1. Secondly I added two supports in the frame and thirdly I added another two (4 in total). Results are shown in img 2 and 3.

What's bizarre is that while adding extra support on the bottom of the frame, it results in a greater
total deflection. Now this can't be right? All three examples have the same set of pressures working on them, it's basically a load of 100kg on the big and the two little squares (each), 150kg on the two middlesized squares (eacht) and a load of 150kg, divided over the three round holes (37,5kg each).

I did this by selecting all the nodes on the squares and circles with calculate 0°. After which I added the equivalent pressure of the specific loads (eg. 0.0000421 on the biggest square on the left). I redid this with simply adding the force over the same surface with FE checked, but this rendered an equivalent result. The frame is constrained in the z-direction on the bottom fold, as seen in img 4. I tried to constrain in all directions, with no difference in result.

Am I not adding the forces/pressures in the correct way? Because the result should be that the frame becomes noticeably stiffer, in stead of just deflecting more with every support I add...

Click for complete pic.

No support:

Bild

2 extra support beams (vertically)
Bild

4 extra support beams (vertically and horizontally)
Bild

Bild
mz15
Site Admin

Re: Adding support-beams increases deflection

Beitrag von mz15 »

Hello Christophe,

To answer your question correctly, it would be nice if you could send me the project data.

Mail to:
markus.zimmermann(at)uni-bayreuth.de

Then I'll be looking at the problem once and than I will contact you again.

Yours sincerely,
Markus Zimmermann
Christophe

Re: Adding support-beams increases deflection

Beitrag von Christophe »

Ok, thank you. I've sent you a mail with extra explanation.
Antworten