Suggestion to improve converter for user

Das Forum zu Z88OS (Open Source) / The newsgroup for Z88OS (open source)

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
BenjaminStandring

Suggestion to improve converter for user

Beitrag von BenjaminStandring »

To whom it may concern,

Please accept this suggestion as a suggestion and not an attack...

Your dxf converter from my point of view could benifit from one simple improvement.

I am working on a large spacial frame using your beam elements No. 2 and believe that you should move away from the idea of perfectly laying down elements on the element layer one after the other which is extremely difficult and arduous when dealing with large no.s of elements.

You should utilise the idea you already implement with points and the points numbers and allow the user to place the element no. grip on the midpoint of the beam element to define that beam element. It would mean that problem solving the dxf file would be simple and graphical. You cant tell which line came when the way you have it now because the CAD wont tell you.

Just a suggestion for beam element structures....

Thankyou for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Ben Standring
Ben Standring
BenjaminStandring

Re: Suggestion to improve converter for user

To whom it may concern,
I retract this suggestion based on the fact that it is much faster and eliminates a third of the time to run a lisp program in acad that generates a text blip on the start point of each element line in draw order and hence identifies the elements number. So the user does not have to place each element text blip on each element line. Please ignore my suggestion as it would create work not eliminate it!
Best Regards,
Ben Standring
Ben Standring
BenjaminStandring

Re: Suggestion to improve converter for user

After using your technique with the order of elements being the order in which the user lays them down for many hours now. I come to the conclusion that it is not the best way for the user. I understand if it makes your converter quicker but for beam element no.2 even with a system of 2500 elements the converter is almost instant.

My suggestion therefore still stands. Please!!!! make the element order definable exactly as the points are definable... Let the user define by placing the text on the midpoint of the elements line entity in the dxf file.

Ive noticed a bug with the dxf conversion too. Once you convert z88x.dxf you cannot add any elements in the z88x.dxf file and reconvert without error. It loses where it was and says that the new elements are between node 0 and node 1 causing error!!! You can try it and see.

The whole idea of defining the order of elements based on the handle value created by the cad program is flawed. If you could define each element with the position of text then you wouldnt have the same problem. If you think it is more time consuming to add the FE ## 2 text to the midpoint of the line of each element I have and autocad lisp file that automates it and does 2500 entities in seconds....

I understand that this text placement idea is only advantagous with beam elements but so what if you want to make the program more attractive to use. The midpoint of a 3d beam is easy to calc... ((x1+x2)/2,(y1+y2)/2,(z1+z2)/2). I wish I could modify your converter for myself and stop nagging you but I dont know how. (and have no time). If you dont do it soon I may beat you to it, so Ill tell you when Ive done it and if you want it you can have it...

I look forward to your nonlinear updates that your working on and take the time to thank your genorosity for providing such a great calculator!
Ben Standring
Antworten