mixing different elements types within a single model

Das Forum zu Z88OS (Open Source) / The newsgroup for Z88OS (open source)

Moderatoren: ccad, mz15, auroraIco, Lehrstuhl

Antworten
alanwinkley
mixing different elements types within a single model

Beitrag von alanwinkley »

I have been studying the user manuals and theory manuals (Z88OS V15, Z88Aurora V4) and have been able to duplicate some of the examples. But each of the examples includes only one type of finite element. From statements in the manuals, I believe that it IS possible to run Z88OS V15 for a mixed structure (i.e. a model incorporating more than one type of element). And it IS NOT possible to run Z88Aurora for a mixed structure.

Please correct me, if my belief is false.

My design work involves ships and boats, which structurally contain mostly stiffened plates (i.e. thin plates attached to beam members. Logically, I would like to make a FEM model of a ship using a mixture of plates (or shells) and beams. For example, I would like to make a FEM model composed of Shells (#23) and Beams (#2), and maybe some Trusses (#4) as well.

Is it feasible to create and analyze such "mixed structures" with Z88OS or with Z88Aurora??
If so, then which combinations of elements are permissible?

Thank you in advance,
Alan Winkley, PE
TB20
Support

Re: mixing different elements types within a single model

Beitrag von TB20 »

Dear alanwinkley,

the solvers of Z88OS and Z88Aurora can handle mixed element types but the GUI of Z88Aurora cannot. It's feasible to use Z88OS for mixed element types. Furthermore, you can generate the input files for mixed strucutres outside of Z88Aurora and run the solvers of Z88Aurora via the command line interface. But either way, you can combine Beam No. 2, Truss No. 4 and Shell No. 23.

Best regards,
TB20
alanwinkley
Re: mixing different elements types within a single model

Beitrag von alanwinkley »

Thank you. I will try it.
It would be great to have a 25x25 matrix table which indicates by ("yes" or "no") which combinations of element types may be used within the same FEM model.
Antworten